Observing the Iranian attacks that have consumed a wider part of the Middle East, Pentagon is considering to send thousands of additional troops to the region to counter the disruption and chaos created by the wave of aggression.
The escalating violence in Iran is a result of the government’s non-beneficial policies and increased US sanctions that have resulted in poor economic situations, giving rise to political instability in the country.
The measure by Pentagon would thereby help in minimizing the vast rampage within the country as well its continued meddling in Iraq, Syria and other parts of the region.
The policy was disclosed by the Defense Undersecretary, John Rood, who on Thursday told the senators that Defense Secretary Mark Esper “intends to make changes” to the number of troops that have been deployed in the region.
In the wake of continued maritime attacks and bombings in Saudi Arabia that the US and others nations have blamed on Iran, the US officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. Through the move of deploying more troops in the region, the US aims to protect its interests in the region that are often threatened by the Iranian attacks.
The discussion came after the president on Thursday accused the Iranian security forces of killing more than 1,000 people in violence against recent Iranian protests.
The Special Representative for Iran, Brian Hook said that the US received and reviewed video of one specific incident of repression in the city of Mahshahr in which the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps mowed down at least 100 protesters with machine-gun fire.
The video was one of the thousand submissions that the US has recently received since the State Secretary, Mike Pompeo appealed to the Iranians to submit the evidences of atrocities by the authorities.
Considering the worst case scenario, the president approved the move of sending troops to the Middle East, despite his previous calls of the US troops’ withdrawal from the region in an attempt to end the “endless wars” against the extremists.
In the past, innumerous American lives had been sacrificed in wars and Iranian attacks in such unsafe regions.
Trump’s approval was announced by his National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien, who further added, “If the troops are needed to deter Iran, we have the capacity to move them into the region — although I don’t think that’s happening right now.”
In order to curtail the threats of Iranian attacks indicated by the intelligence agencies, the military leaders stood in favor of the move. Rood, who was continuously asked about the reports which stated that 14,000 more troops could be sent to the region, chose to remain quiet.
The rumors were widely considered true until recently when the Pentagon press secretary, Alyssa Farah flatly denied the 14,000 number, saying Esper told the Senate committee chairman Thursday morning that “we are not considering sending 14,000 additional troops” to the region.
Meanwhile, the Iranian officials have largely denied the allegations, claiming that the casualty figures of Iranian attacks from abroad were “purely speculative and highly inaccurate”. At the same time, they have refused to offer any nationwide statistics of the number of injuries, arrests or deaths caused during the Iranian protests, which puts them in a questionable spot, with the rest eager to know the truth behind.