The Trump administration has intensified the pressure on Iran by reimposing sanctions aimed at halting the oil exports of the Islamic republican. On the other hand, Iran has been making its own moves against the United States. An Iranian commander warned on Wednesday that the Iranian missiles can knock the US military bases in the Middle East.
The head of the Revolutionary Guards’ airspace division, Amirali Hajizadeh said that the US military targets in the United Arab Emirates, Afghanistan and Iran, as well as aircraft carriers near the Persian Gulf, are within the range of the Islamic republic’s missiles.
The Iranian commander stated, “They are within our reach and we can hit them if they (Americans) make a move,” adding that the country had improved the accuracy of its weapons and expanded their range.
In view of the growing arsenal of advanced long-range warheads of Iran, Riad Kahwaji, founder and director of the Institute for Near East and Gulf Military Analysis, the threat of an Iranian attack should be taken seriously.
According to The National, Kahwaji said, “Iran has formidable arsenal of ballistic missile and is developing its cruise missile capabilities as well.”
He further said, “These missiles don’t need to be fired from Iranian territory. Iran has delivered these missiles to proxies in Iraq and Syria so it can have these militias fire these missiles without it being held responsible.”
The relations between Tehran and Washington have been escalating under President Donald Trump. In May this year, the president pulled the US out of the 2015 nuclear deal Iran— signed with America and other world power. Some believe that one of the major reasons for Trump’s decision was Tehran’s persistent development of its missile capabilities.
Since then, both the nations have feuded over various issues. As a consequence of Trump’s withdrawal from the Obama-era deal, the US reimposed sanctions over Iran. On the other hand, Tehran has threatened to close off the Strait of Hormuz, which would block a substantial amount of the world’s oil supply.
The Islamic republican has already taken future negotiations on its missile program off the table. The country says it serves a solely defensive purpose.
In August, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei tweeted, “Negotiations with former US officials, who at least saved some face, bore such results! With current brazen US officials—who have unsheathed their swords against Iranians—what negotiations can we have? Thus no negotiations with any U.S. official at any level will be held.”
The Wednesday warning from the Iranian commander came as the US sanctions reimposed this month, have been putting pressure on Iran. Considering the military power of Iran, the threats can’t be taken leniently. Looks like Trump has opened doors to danger by damaging its ties with the Islamic republic.