The Pentagon has been planning to send 5,000 more troops to the Middle East to mitigate threats possessed by Iran. The news came on Wednesday, amidst growing threats against the US forces and the interests of the Americans in the Middle East.
With new US sanctions on Iran, there has been a chaotic situation in both the countries. Many in power have supported the President Trump’s move, though others have been blaming the government for the current crisis.
The sanctions are a result of Iran’s failure in fulfilling its promises under the 2015 nuclear agreement, wherein the former agreed to limit its nuclear activities, including halting of its uranium production in exchange for sanction waivers. As Iran did not abide by the rules, the US imposed more sanctions, withdrawing its part from the nuclear deal by terming it inefficient.
Iran’s largest oil importers were cut down, depriving the government of $50bn in annual oil revenues. Being at a disadvantage from all the sides, the Iranians have been threatening to restart a greater production of uranium.
Alongside the growing threats from Iran in the Gulf, the incurring losses due to the trade war with China has added to more tensions in the US. Thus, the officials have been putting extra efforts in mitigating the threats. They have appealed to the Pentagon to deploy more troops in the Gulf area to minimize the signs of attacks on the US forces.
The confirmation on the recent request approval remains unclear. On Wednesday, Commander Rebecca Rebarich, a Pentagon representative, said, “As a matter of longstanding policy, we are not going to discuss or speculate on potential future plans and requests for forces.”
US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said that Pentagon’s increasing prevention measures have suspended the chances of potential attacks on Americans. The military has started the mission of deploying a carrier strike group to the Middle East troops in order to protect its sovereignty.
Bombers and Patriot missiles were sent earlier in response to the presumed threats from Iran.
The US has noted that Iran encouraged Houthi militants or Iraq-based Shi’ite militias to launch an attack on the US interests in the Middle East. It appeared as a sign of warning in the wake of the growing Iranian tensions.
Aggravating the existing situation in the country, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei commented that Iran’s youth would witness the demise of Israel and American civilization.
Threat dialogues from people in power have worsened the situation in both the countries. Thereby, to be on a safer side, the US officials have been continuously requesting the Pentagon for additional troops and resources to provide a solid defense, safeguarding its interests in the Middle East. They have become more considerate about the current situation and rising threats in the country.
Show Comments (0)