Trump Likely to Soften his Demand of Mexico Border Wall Funding

Mexico border wall

The Mexico border wall project of President Donald Trump is getting more byzantine with time, and the major question that remains is the funding. While Trump had called for $5 billion to fund the border wall, a top official from the White House informed on Sunday that the President is willing to accept less money.

However, a senior congressional Democrat has signaled that although their own offer could be granted, they are not ready to agree to a wall.

It was being anticipated that by the end of this week, when the House and Senate are scheduled to meet, some of the federal government operations would conclude. However, the acting White House Chief Stave Mick Mulvaney notified the expectations might not turn true, as the shutdown could extend to January, when Democrats will take up the House.

Mulvaney, also the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, informed that he’s waiting for revert from the Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer of New York. Schumer received a counter-bid in the long-standing conflict over funding the Mexico border wall from the Trump administration on Saturday.

Although Mulvaney didn’t reveal the particulars, he did make clear that the offer is placed between Trump’s request of $5.7 billion and the Democrats offer of $1.3 billion. “We moved off of the five and we hope they move up from their 1.3,” he said.

The comments from the Director about Trump’s softened demand highlighted the fickle nature of the President’s negotiating style. Prior to this announcement, the administration had been pressing the Congress to accept Trump’s demands.

However, Democrats in the Congress have been standing rigorously in defiance of the Mexico border wall. Senator Dick Durbin argued that instead of building “some medieval wall,” it would be better to increase the use of technology along the border.

To a question whether he’s willing to hike the spends if the funds are not spent on the border wall, Durbin said, “Absolutely”.

On Saturday, after funding for several departments and agencies expired, the dispute over the Mexico border wall induced a shutdown of parts of government. While the closure was expected to last through late this week, Mulvaney has predicted it could extend into January.

“It’s very possible that this shutdown will go beyond the 28th and into the new Congress,” Mulvaney said.

A spokesman for Schumer, Justin Goodman countered, “If Director Mulvaney says the Trump Shutdown will last into the New Year, believe him, because it’s their shutdown.”

It’s the third day of the shutdown, but both the sides remain stern on their respective stance. The directors also said that “the president’s not going to not accept money for a border wall.”

On Sunday, Trump tweeted, that what’s needed was “a good old fashioned WALL that works.”

On the other hand, Democrats as well as some Republicans held firm in opposition to a wall on the US-Mexico border. They have said that they are open to proposals excluding funds for the Mexico border wall, which has been called too costly and ineffective by Schumer.

Tags:

  • Show Comments (0)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

  • name *

  • email *

  • website *

You May Also Like

Michael Bloomberg

Michael Bloomberg withdraws run for 2020 presidential bid

The erstwhile New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has proclaimed the withdrawal of his candidacy ...

Jared Kushner

Jared Kushner Ready with his Middle East Peace Plan to be Launched in Spring

Recently at the Middle East security conference in Warsaw, Poland, Jared Kushner, senior adviser ...